Baby Quilt for Isabella
I mentioned on my previous post, about the baby quilt I made for Joe, how quite a few of our close family and friends and due to have babies. Well, here’s the second quilt – a quilt for Isabella, born at 7am on 13th November.
I had a whole bunch of very thin strips of fabric that I’d bought from the Festival of Quilts a couple of years ago, and I’ve been wondering what to do with them ever since. Then the idea for this quilt popped into my head. I used foundation piecing (as I always do if I can) to sew the strips on evenly. I think the fabric was just offcuts so the strips were all different widths, and by sewing them onto paper I was able to make them all even without having to rotary cut all 66 to a precise size (phew!). When I had finished about four A4 pieces of papers worth, I sewed them all together and ripped all the strips of paper out, then I cut it in half to create two identical stripes.
I decided on a white fabric background to make the colours stand out, and more leftover Snoopy fabric for the back. I quilted the white bit so that the stripes pop out a little.
This is the first quilt I’ve ever sewn a label onto because I’m British and get embarrassed by these things, but my Auntie Marion persuaded me to after chatting at the Festival of Quilts this year. My sewing machine has a few fonts on it, but after a lot of thought and deliberation, I decided to backstitch the lettering onto some white aida. I folded over the edges (and ironed them) and then backstitched it onto the back of the quilt in white embroidery thread. It was a bit strange because I had to decide which way up the quilt goes, which I hadn’t determined up to this point. But I think it looks rather smart in the end.
My bias binding is still really twisty – leave any tips in the comments please 🙂